Wednesday 16 May 2012

May 16, 2012 End of Round #5 of 8…and the Winner is…

May 16, 2012 End of Round #5 of 8…and the Winner is…

Carmela, Cancer Babe is again the TOTALLY undisputed winner of round #5!!!

Running score:
Carmela Cancer Babe – 4 Rounds
Chemo demons and its friends – 1 Round

Yet another uneventful, unremarkable and normal round.  I can’t get enough of being boring:o)

With some early and expected joint pains, body aches and lack of sleep (due to the aches and pains) after the first two days and lasting up to about day 7, I moved into some real normal living for the balance of this round of treatment with the new drugs.  Since this was the first round with the new drugs, I was a little nervous about what to expect and the first 7 days were a little disconcerting as you just never know how long some of the side effects will last and to what degree.  The best way to describe the sensation was like growing pains or stronger aches and pains due to a fever.  I did manage some of the pain, etc with some carefully managed Tylenol and a new drug that was prescribed that targets this particular type of nerve pain or neuropathy (Gabapentin).  Now that I know that there is an end to the side effects (although they can get more severe with each upcoming treatment), I feel much more confident going into the next round and will probably take the Gabapentin more proactively to perhaps minimize the discomfort expected during the first week.

I have to say that after I got through the first week, I had some fun, got around town and the spring sun came out that felt like early summer weather.  There is nowhere better to be in the world than BC when the weather is this good! 

Apart from enjoying the sun I was able to attend a great CBCF (Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation) annual Awareness Luncheon where some TV/news personalities and other executives attended – I thank TELUS for the invitation and Rebekah of the CBCF for bringing the event to my attention. I also did some antique shopping, had dinner with Lena for her birthday (Lena and most of my 1964 freinds -- all of us the year of the Dragon) already know that I am pretty much the youngest of this bunch:o)), had a great visit with Gillian in Nanaimo for the day, worked on more projects around the house, went for regular walks, chauffeured the boys to piano/basketball, etc., went to one Yoga class, worked on preparing for our Pink Ribbon Tying event (supporting the CBCF and supported by TELUS – the event is being held at TELUS on Sunday, May 27th) and enjoyed normal day-to-day activities that I usually take for granted. 

Also, I was fortunate to attend two piano recitals with Graeme that showed off his level 10 capabilities.  I taped his performances using my iPad and I will try to figure out how to attach the performances here or put them on YouTube or Face Book soon.  Graeme received two Gold level marks for both performances – I was definitely a proud mamma listening to the performances (especially the second one where he received a mark of 92 and the piece sounded very lovely and strong). 

Iain started his paper route in the neighborhood in April and is blooming into a young entrepreneur before our eyes – with helpers, deposits into his bank account and pride in the responsibilty:o)

To top this off, I was treated to an awesome Mother’s day where Graeme and Iain prepared a great brunch on their own WITHOUT killing each other and without getting into any major argument (small gifts…), Todd and the boys bought and put together some hanging baskets and planters for me and we had a great dinner that my sister Maria hosted for us and my Mom and Dad (three pastas to choose from – yum). 

As always there is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS something to be thankful for… like this uneventful round, normal life, being part of my sons’ achievements and wonderful Mother’s Day with my boys and family.

Yet again….

Chemo demons you can kiss my arse … AGAIN!

Onto round #6….

No comments:

Post a Comment