Monday 22 October 2012

October 17, 2012: Milestone - End of Radiation

October 17, 2012: End of Radiation

My radiation experience has ended after 28 treatments that started on September 7, 2012.  In retrospect, I was more anxious about this treatment than I needed to be based on how well I tolerated radiation.  The expectation was relatively high that I would experience skin reactions including an intense sunburnt look and feeling, potential skin lesions, skin/muscle tightening and fatigue.  Remarkably, my skin seemed unscathed up until the last week or so and even at that, it was not tremendously impacted.  I also did not feel overly tired and fatigued other than the fact that my sleep continues to be interrupted due to menopausal symptoms more so than anything else.  I kept asking the Radiation Technicians (of which there were many, I only remember a few of the names, but they were ALL really pleasant and competent) if they were giving me placebo treatments based on how good it all seemed to be going.

Here is a visual of the machine that was used for CT simulation to prepare the radiation treatment and then used to administer the treatments:




The worst parts of this treatment was: the long sessions during the first week where I needed to be fitted to a mould for my arms to rest in above my head while lying down; trying not to cough while I was getting over a cold; worrying that they might radiate my heart and lungs in error (I kinda want these two babies for the rest of my life:o)); driving to Surrey (Surry Memorial Hospital) and back every working day for 28 days; finding parking in the ridiculously narrow and limited number of parking stalls; AND giving up my life for 2 or more hours every day for this treatment.

By the time the final day came, I was on cloud nine.  To commemorate the day, I gave a box of chocolates for the Radiation staff to share and as a thank you.  I gave a big hug to the two Radiation technicians that were treating me that day.  I changed out of my lovely blue patient gowns, through them into the hospital laundry bin. 






And then I walked out the door…..

The Radiation Technicians and others asked how I was going to celebrate this milestone, but really, walking out the door of the BC Cancer Agency that day and knowing I was going to be able start regaining my days and rebuilding my life was celebration enough.  I called Todd before I left the parking lot and gave him a big Whoawho in his ear because he deserved to feel the relief with me.

Here’s to my renewed life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment