Friday 29 June 2012

June 28, 2012 Beginning of Round #8…the FINAL ROUND!!!

June 28, 2012 Beginning of Round #8…the FINAL ROUND!!!

So this is it, my last round of Chemo!  It is now here and it seems very exciting and surreal at the same time.

This morning I was greeted by a new nurse whose names is Shelley.  We went through the normal how-do-you-do and how-have-you-been-doing formalities.  At first Shelley seemed distant and aloof, but as we got into it, she really warmed up and was very knowledgeable.  She seemed to really listen to the good and the bad that I felt from the last treatment and gave some good insight on what to expect after this last round of chemo.  As I started describing my concerns about the discomfort I have been feeling with my upper arm and armpit and as we discussed options and next steps, I was surprised with how emotional I started to feel.  It started with Shelley overtly talking about how my attention will now move to managing the next stage of treatment for my left breast and that my mind will move toward getting back to a normal life.  Although I have been ruminating on these topics for some time with additional attention over the last few weeks as I have been meeting with my medical oncologist, radiation oncologist and plastic surgeon, actually going through the thought process live at my final chemo treatment made the topic that much more poignant. 

As we talked, Shelley suggested that I would be a good candidate to advocate for Breast Cancer and potentially participate in the Cancer Buddy program.  This reinforced my already maturing passion around these topics and helped to calm my emotions through rational and grounding thoughts of how I might contribute/give back to others that have or will be going through their Breast Cancer journeys.

One bit of happy news from Shelley was that hair tends start growing back within about 6 six from the last chemo treatment – this really lifted my spirits.  Although getting back a full head of hair will take some months, at least the beginning of my mane will start soon.  Todd is already getting ready to compete on who’s hair will grow back quicker once mine starts to really show signs of consistent growth – care to lay a bet?:o)

After 5 hours in the chemo chair and only a little reaction to the pre-medication (steroids and Benedryl), my last session was over. There were no cheers, hoorays or pat on the back.  I was just free to go.  I gave a quick hug to Shelley and was on my way.  While I initially felt this was anti-climatic, I quickly appreciated the power of the subtle release that I felt as I left the Cancer centre.  I noted that there were other women there as I left that were at various staged of treatment (you generally get to know who has what and what chemo stage they are in based on discussions or the length of their hair – or lack thereof).  Today there seemed to be a few that were in the middle or near the end of their journey while one lady in particular was getting her first treatment and orientation – she was well rested, looked nervous and had a beautiful head of hair (for now of course):o)  Although I will need to come to the chemo room for another 13 treatments of Herceptin, the experience will be much different.  I will only need to be “in the chair” for about hour each time and there are no significant side effects that I will need to worry about (other than having my heart checked every three months via a MUGA scan:

The MUGA scan (MUltiple Gated Acquisition scan) is an extremely useful noninvasive tool for assessing the function of the heart. The MUGA scan produces a moving image of the beating heart, and from this image several important features can be determined about the health of the cardiac ventricles (the heart’s major pumping chambers)).

Playing out the Next Steps:

Based on the discussions with my oncologists and plastic surgeon these are what seem to be the next steps after Chemo – wow!!:

1.     June 28 – July 18 (3 weeks): Recovery from last chemo treatment
2.     July 19, 2012 – April 2013 (13 treatments every three weeks): Herceptin injections to save my life.  Without this antibody, the chances of a recurrence for me would be pretty high.  With Herceptin, my chances are back to an even playing field based on the chemo, radiation  and hormone therapy regime that has been assigned for my cancer.
3.     July 2012 – July 2018 (5 years): Hormone therapy – my cancer is Estrogen and Progesterone positive, so I will benefit from Hormone therapy which will positively contribute to reducing my chances of recurrence and morality.
4.     July 23 – August 17 (4 weeks): Tissue expansion
5.     August 13: Hair might start growing back:o)
6.     August 20 -  24: Preparation for radiation – CT scan, etc
7.     September 4 – October 12 approx. (5.5 weeks): Radiation daily expect weekends and holidays
8.     TBD: Recovery from Radiation
9.     TBD: Return to work – perhaps starting in November based on recovery time and what is reasonable for TELUS.
10.  April 2013 (TBD) – Removal of my Power Port (might be removed post reconstructive surgery – will need to confirm
11.  April 2013 (minimum 6 Months post radiation): Final reconstructive surgery – April 2013 at the earliest in order for skin and body to recover enough to handle surgery.


My chemo journey started on January 11th with my bumpy, bumpy infection ride starting on January 20th, has now ended on a much more positive note as of June 28th.  All the treatments after the first one have proceeded without any remarkable events. Of course I will need to get through the next three weeks of normal recovery time, however, I am confident that I will move through this window of time with relative ease.

What a ride it has been so far.  So until the next post, thanks for everything and there is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS something to be thankful for.  I am thankful to be putting the chemo ride behind me.

My Best,

Carmela

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the site, I found a lot of useful information for us.

    ReplyDelete