Wednesday 6 June 2012

June 6, 2012 End of Round #6 of 8…and the Winner is…

Carmela, Cancer Babe - again the TOTALLY undisputed winner of round #6!!!

Running score:
Carmela Cancer Babe – 5 Rounds
Chemo demons and its friends – 1 Round

Yet another uneventful, unremarkable and normal round:o)

I decided not to be a martyr this time and listened to my Oncologist (Dr. O).  He knows I really don’t like to take pills and medicine if I don’t have to.   However, taking the prescribed Gabapentin really did help minimize the annoying aches and pains that the Taxol tends to bring.  This time, instead of the 5-7 days of aches, pains, restlessness and interrupted sleep, I really only experienced two days of this stuff.   I guess it can be beneficial to listen to one’s doctor.

Other than these two days of very manageable side effects, the rest of the three weeks I felt quite normal, energetic and had relatively restful sleep.  With this energy I was able to plan, support and execute on the fabulously successful TELUS Day of Service Pink Ribbon Tying event dedicated to Sharon North (full story on my previous post), went on many long walks and hikes either on my own, with Angela or others in the neighborhood, went on a number of lunches and dinners with the Moms “in the hood” and others, did stuff with the boys and got some stuff done around the house.  I took a chance and travelled to Power River to visit my good friend Laurie from University for an overnight stay.  The trip up and back was awesome and very relaxing with two ferry rides (each way) and a relaxing amount of driving listening to music and practicing my mindfulness breathing techniques that I have been learning recently.  The time with Laurie and her family was great as we only get to see each other once or twice a year.  I do miss Laurie, Gillian, Paul, Lena, and many other friends given distance, busy lives and just stuff that gets in the way.  So, again, there are many positives that have come to my door with this new road that I am on.

The other big thing that we were able to accomplish was to get the stairs finished in the entrance way of our house.  As many know, the Thomson house is under a constant state of renovations and unfinished projects, so this was a significant (to say the least) accomplishment.  I am hoping to have the entrance way repainted to give it that further finished look that I constantly earn for.  My husband does not seem to have the same burning platform as me for some reason - good thing he has earned muchos brownie points with his amazing support with this journey that we are on:o))

If I am really lucky, we may even finish our laundry room so that we have a second bathroom and more storage room – I don’t ask for much really:o)

With all these good things that have filled my days, I can’t really complain about my current situation.  Besides, as Dr. O said today, the goal of my treatment plan is to cure my body of Breast Cancer, so anything that happens over and above this is very excellent gravy….

I am hoping to add a few posts in between chemo rounds that provide additional color to my new road and may be of some entertainment value to you as well.

So until the next post and/or the next round:

Chemo demons you can kiss my arse AND eat my grits … AGAIN!

Onto round #7….

1 comment: