Wednesday 11 January 2012

January 11 2012 - Chemo Phase 1, Day 1 - The Importance of Sweating the Small Stuff (details really are important)

Post created from my iPad 2:o)

“Life is great. What a beautiful crisp winter day we had in the Lower Mainland--lows of 0 degrees and highs of maybe 5 degrees. The sunrise was amazing with vivid and various shades of pinks/mauves-- fitting colors for the journey ahead. The view of the North Shore mountains and mountains in US direction were breathtaking-- we truly live in one of best places in the whole world!

For me, the morning started at 7:00am with driving Iain to an early school basketball practice. Graeme was already out the door at 7:00am to catch his bus to school after picking up a close friend along the way. Todd was up since 5:00am to get his workday stared. Once everyone was settled, my day progressed nice and gradually with calmness, quiet and a pleasant peppermint tea (with a touch of honey). Don't get me wrong, I love the commotion that is the Thomson family, however, serenity is very much underrated.

My appointment time was 10:00 am and after some prep (including supremely valuable anti-nausea medication -- two types to start with and others for back-up) from a very nice, energetic, positive and competent nurse (whom I bribed with some chocolates to make the experience the best possible and to pay forward a strong recovery), the first two doses of my chemo cocktail started--cocktail is very appropriate given the nice deep rosy hue-- just didn't, have the tasty experience of a usual cocktail. A second drip treatment started at 11:00am (that had the potential of offering sinus pressure and/or headache) which lasted about 40 minutes and then, voila, it was over sans the headache. In fact, I left feeling quite normal and had the pleasure of meeting other upbeat cancer buddies. Todd didn't have time read his book and I barely had time to get into my iPad.

We trucked on home, had a great lunch (which still tastes normal so far) and went for wonderful a walk with my Mom around Glenayre and College Park (Lisa you know the route) which spanned a nice leisurely 1.5 hours - had to slow down so my poor Mom could catch her breath -- she may get in shape with me:o)

The trick is now to stay ahead of the nausea, which I am now doing as a get ready for a good night's sleep. I am now being summoned to go to bed by my caregivers, so I will continue tomorrow or as soon as I can.

NOTE: Without attention to detail, we would not have the improved chemo treatment methods I am experiencing and if I don't follow the detailed instructions I have been given, this could be a very bumpy ride (Quote from a Harry Potter movie). Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers and strength today--sure is doing the trick so far. More to come- I may amend this post for grammar, spelling and other musing...

C

PS- will provide a link to a great song by Kate Bush called "Woman's Work" next time -- it means a lot to me.”

2 comments:

  1. I contine to define you as courageous, as fun, as determined and driven - as you have always been and your story already inspires. Thanks for blogging. It is powerful and empowering. I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the day went well. I hope the next go as well. Thanks for keeping us all updated. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete