Sunday 8 January 2012

November 25, 2011 - A "Dangling Participle" - New Weight Loss Program - 2nd Surgery Post Op.

This email went out after my second surgery - Left Breast, skin sparing Mastectomy with axilla (lymph node) dissection - Surgery was successfully completed on November 24, 2011.


New Weight Loss Program starting November 24, 2011 - Not recommended for you at home, Limited to professional breast cancer patients:

To my good family, friends, neighbours and colleagues,

I am back home today after the start of the next leg (breast) of my journey.

Surgery went really well yesterday and a few good drugs are keeping me feeling quite good.

While I have been looking to lose some weight recently, this may not be the most advisable route to take – as noted this weight loss program is only recommended for professional breast cancer patients:o)

Although it would be easy to see the bleak side of this type of journey, there is so much to be thankful for especially with the kindness, love, good wishes and food (my mom and my Glenayre friends are keeping us well fed!) from this tremendous group of people, and many others, that I am proud are part of my “breast friends” network.  I know I will be fine by the end of this.  So my new motto is “show strength and you will receive strength” – this is the gift you are all giving me.

For this email update there are some people and groups of note (as many of you know, I can’t help my professional tendencies):

·         Derek wins the “booby” prize for the most jokes that are sent with great regularity
·         Julie and Geoff for being the best employers a person can have
·         The TELUS Real Estate team for being the best team a person can have
·         My old Procurement team for keeping in their thoughts even though I have moved on
·         All my close colleagues at TELUS – your support is just amazing
·         “My medical team” – I need to trust them
·         All my friends in the Glenayre neighbourhood in Port Moody for being part of the best “hood” ever – you know we will be “coffeed out” by the end of this:o)
·         My great friends from high school, university, previous work lives – you know who you are and I trust you won’t tell too many embarrassing stories to the others.
·         My families are just amazing – mothers, fathers, cousins, aunts, uncles, sister, brothers, sisters-in-law and brothers-in-law and all the family in between
·         My boys Graeme and Iain for being strong, kind and loving
·         My husband, Todd, who has been a rock through this.

While there is much more to come, I am very fortunate and will continue to be so with so much love and support.

My best to my “breast friends”

Carmela

PS – As humour has great healing qualities, music is also a great healer.  If you have time, feel free to share good music that I can consider adding to my growing collection.  Graeme, my older son, is making sure that I stay “cool” with a lot of the latest music, but other music of all types would be interesting to discover while I am on “vacation”.

PPSS: I will leave you with a quote from the book “127 Hours – Between a Rock and a Hard Place” by Aron Rolston (not all of this applies, but much does – good book to read and good movie to watch):

For all that has happened and the opportunities still developing in my life, I feel blessed.  I was part of a miracle that has touched a great number of people in the world and I wouldn't trade that for anything, not even to have my hand (CT: breast) back.  My accident in and the rescue from Blue John Canyon were the most beautifully spiritual experiences of my life, and knowing that, were I to travel back in time, I would still say "see you later" to Megan and Kristi and take off into that lower slot by myself.  While I've learned much, I have no regrets about that choice.  Indeed, it has affirmed my belief that our purpose as spiritual beings is to follow our bliss, seek our passions, and live our lives as inspirations to each other.  Everything else flows from that.  When we find inspiration, we need to take action for ourselves and for our communities.  Even if it means making a hard choice, or cutting out something and leaving it in your past.

Saying farewell (CT: not to life, only a part of my body) is also a bold and powerful beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment