Sunday 8 January 2012

October 20, 2011 - Keeping YOU "Abreast" and Keeping ME "A" Breast (Results and Next Steps from Pathology report from 1st Surgery)

To all my family, friends, neighbours and colleagues,

So I started writing this email before Monday so that I could draft some levity to the circumstances.  Based on the update I have for you, I think the next phase of cheerleading that I need from everyone is way more humour cuz the good wishes and love were REALLY good, but the cheering section will need to boost up the volume (something like in Horton Hears A Who when the township of Whoville shout out I am here, I am here, I am here…to be fully heard and saved).

Keeping with levity and humour (you know that breast jokes will have to be part of this journey), the original email heading was “Keeping you “abreast””, the new one is “Keeping YOU “Abreast” and Keeping ME “A”  Breast”.  To explain the change in subject heading you will need to read the “Serious Stuff” first followed by some Lighter Stuff.

Here’s the serious stuff…

The positive results we were expecting on Monday took a different route.  The bone scan came out clear so it looks like the cancer has not spread to my bone structure which is great news.

The pathology report on the removed breast tissue (tumor and surrounding tissue) was, unfortunately, not as positive.  It looks like there are at least two additional tumors (very small in nature), cancer in at least one lymph node and cancer on the outer edges of the incision. 

The good news with this is that the main tumor and some of the surrounding cancer has been completely removed so that it is no longer an immediate threat.  The not so good news is that because of the new areas of cancer (albeit small at this point) were not expected and it cannot be determined how much more cancer  there is in the breast, the current decision is to remove the whole left breast and lymph nodes followed by both chemo therapy and radiation.  It does not look like the right breast has any issues at this time (way to go right breast:o)).  This process can take a number of months depending on the extent of chemo and radiation that will be recommended post surgery (2nd surgery).

I have appointments with my doctor and an oncologist next week to confirm this opinion.  I will also be meeting with a plastic surgeon next week to confirm reconstruction options as well. 

Due to the surgeon’s schedule (holidays), the next surgery date is currently scheduled for November 24th.

I will continue to educate myself (Todd will get educated with me as he has the bigger brain at the moment) during this time to ensure we are making the right decisions.

Here is the Lighter Stuff:

Ok team, since good wishes, love and positive thoughts have helped to get through round one with some positives and some negatives, let’s use as much humour as possible for round two (and all that goes with round two).  Good jokes, links to funny stuff, you tube comedians, etc, etc. etc. are all welcome. Anything to laugh this stuff away is very much in order – all the breast jokes you can think of are of particular interest…

Also, beware that you might find me lingering at your doorstep to go for a coffee or walk or calling you out of the blue so that I don’t go too stir crazy taking care of myself (my own company is not that exciting:o)).  Emails might continue to flow your way and your responses definitely help me even if I can’t respond back to you right away.

So….Your job is to continue to be my cheerleaders, let yourselves be heard (I am here, I am here, I am here … ), remain calm, think positive thoughts, keep up the wishes and love (always good to have) and help me laugh my guts out (and the cancer away). 

In turn, I promise to also remain calm (meditation I hear can be a good thing, but that means I will have to stop talking for a period of time:o)), think positive thoughts, keep fighting and wait for the humor to roll in.  I will continue to sit tight, read, putter, crochet, walk and ignore my Mom’s worrying (although her healing soups and rustic Italian cooking do wonders for me.  Having time to walk with her is also a very good thing).  I will also try to enjoy my own company as much as possible, but you know how painful that is:o)  Todd, the boys, my MomS (mamma Morano and mamma Doreen) and Dad continue to ensure that I am OK and that I don’t overdo it.

Thanks for your love, support and upcoming humor.  Now you know what to do next…

My best,

Carmela

PS – the first breast joke for those of you who really know me:  think small, but not too small:o)


2 comments:

  1. Hey Carmela - have a great dinner tonight and all the best tomorrow... the link is a 'girl' power TED talk... and is an excellent suggestion for what to order for dinner ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, yeah, about that link...

    http://www.ted.com/talks/award_winning_teen_age_science_in_action.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TEDTalks_video+%28TEDTalks+Main+%28SD%29+-+Site%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

    ReplyDelete