Thursday 5 January 2012

September 26, 2011 - Getting the news

Confirmed diagnosis of Breast Cancer - September 26, 2011 after the following:

1. Annual Mammogram which showed an inconclusive result - March 2011
2. Follow up Mammogram and Ultra Sound which still showed an inconclusive result - March 2011
3. Biobsy - which confirmed Breast Cancer in a small tumour of less than 2 cm in my left Breast (smaller is better when diagnosed with Cancer) - September 19, 2011
4. Diagnosis confirmed by my doctor (both she, I and my husband were devistated) - September 26, 2011

This is the message I sent to Family, Friends, Neighbors and Colleagues when my cancer was first confirmed  -- background on process to this date to follow some other time.

Hello Everyone,

As close friends and women, I would like to share some news with you – (I include your husbands and kids as friends as well and hope that I have not missed anyone here).

Through early screening, I have learned that I have an early stage of breast cancer that I need to attend to immediately.  In fact the process is moving very quickly where I am anticipating having surgery this coming Thursday (if some additional tests prior to Thursday indicate any further issues, we may need to postpone the surgery and understand if other procedures need to be considered).

The current prognosis is positive in that I should only need a lumpectomy as this stage with, of course, potential radiation and/or chemotherapy (many questions and tests, etc to confirm the need for these steps).  At minimum, I will require some recovery time from the surgery which is currently 2-6 weeks.

More than anything I am disappointed in the interruption in life and the burden this is for people around me.  I have great support from my colleagues at TELUS, from TELUS, Todd/the kids, family, friends, my doctor and the various other medical advisors I now seem to have – for this I am very fortunate and grateful.  As I have been told this week, if you have to have cancer, BC is the best place to be for the best care in Canada and perhaps the world.

Please don’t be upset or worry, I am in good hands and I am OK with this as long as the prognosis stays as positive as it is so far. 

Sorry for letting you know this way, but I didn’t want you to hear it through the grapevine.  The next few days will be a little crazy as I prepare to hand stuff off at work and get ready for Thursday, so if I don’t get a chance to speak to you live, I am really sorry. 

In the meantime take care and give your kids/loved ones (even pets) a big hug from me. 

My Best,

Carmela

No comments:

Post a Comment